Wednesday 28 March 2007

Code of conduct for bloggers?

I've only recently discovered the joys of blogs and since I did have spent a lot of time browsing through various variations of these. Everyone seems to be very friendly and it can be a pleasant way of whiling away the lunch hour.

When I read about Kathy Sierra and the comments that had been posted on both her blog and others it made me angry. Why oh why do people have to be so abusive?

I do not understand the mentality of people who feel the urge to do such a thing. It's not big and it's not clever. It doesn't make you look cool. If you don't like what you are reading go and read something else.

Anyway, rant over for the day.

Edit: Having ranted and knowing some of you may have followed the links I posted I thought I ought to add a bit here. Chris Locke who is also known as RageBoy has a response on his site. He seems a reasonable guy, who admittedly doesn't like Kathy. I don't believe he has posted any of the extremely derogatory comments that can be seen, and he has done the courtesy of taking down the sites where stuff was posted. I just feel that overall it's a shame that the only way round this seems to be some sort of censorship such as applying comment moderation on all blog sites. I also have to say that that wouldn't stop the site hosters receiveng abusive comments. What can be done?

No comments: